Friday, May 9, 2008

Cricketwithballs turns hermaphrodite

Unless Sime or Big Daddy unexpectedly show up, I have the place to myself for a few hours.
I've already been through the drinks cabinet (disappointingly, no wine) underwear drawers (I've been looking for that pink pair everywhere) and the secret stash under the bed (you wouldn't believe even if I told you).
So what next? Given that I've infiltrated cricketwithballs with a few posts already, I thought it was high time I introduced myself properly. Read to the end, because that's where I propose some FUN.
[b]The serious cricket part[/b]

I fell in love with cricket as a teenager, by coming across a test match on tv and getting completely, utterly sucked in. It was a year when stonewashed Levis were the absolute bomb but indigo pairs were beyond the pale, and it was also the brief period in history when curly hair was actually fashionable.
I remember a young big-haired Sachin Tendulkar taking a catch after running halfway round the field, and Kapil Dev hitting four sixes to avoid the follow-on (I didn't even know what the follow-on was).
I remember sitting gripped through every ball of Graham Gooch's 333. I remember the commentator noting that this was a triple nelson, and having absolutely no idea what that meant.
I took breaks and ate food only when the cricketers did.
When my dad came home from work in the evening I'd excitedly report the day's play. I just adored the fact that a test match had intricate detail and a bigger picture at the same time, and I loved the combination of individual skill and combined team performance.
When the first test of that series was over I was very happy when I found out that there were four more to come. My friends thought me a little crazy, but, as I tried to explain to them, what's better than a sport you love lasting for five whole days?
[b]The cricketwithballs part[/b]

I originally thought I'd do one post a week, but exceeded expectations early in a bout of enthusiasm. I hope I don't end up doing a Mohammad Zahid.
As someone apparently keeps looking for this, I may as well deal with it now: there are no pics of me here (emphasis on "here"), and I have never had $ex with any dragons (evil or otherwise) but if made to choose I'd pick the evil one.
[b]The fun, interactive part[/b]

Now for the fun! If you'd like to know anything about your new ladyblogger (within reason) and her take on cricket, [b]put a question in the comments[/b] and I'll answer the best of them another time.
But that's not all! It really isn't!
What I will also do, as a very special treat for you lovely people, is ask the text service AQA the same questions, and post their answers as a (hopefully amusing) counterfoil to my actual answers. What larks, children!
It'll cost me £1 a text, but you can't put a price on fun. ...
www.cricketwithballs.com "Now with extra juicy Podcast"

No comments: