Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Preview - First Test, first love

Oh what feeling is this, electricity flows, like the very first kiss.

It's the first Test of the English "summer", people!

Who is excited? I am! I am! Such excitement should, by rights, be unmerited, as this is the 11th out of 19 consecutive fixtures between The Kiwis and The England.
But after all the razzmatazz, shiny helmets, slapping and crying of the last couple of months (and that's just in my private life), the first Test signals such a good feeling that I can't describe it in words. Instead, I will describe it in analogies (which admittedly consist of words). It is like:a chilled glass of white wine after a hot journey home on the tubedriving through Death Valley on a beautiful day, after the bright lights and excess of Las Vegas the hot rush of air as you step off a plane for your summer holidaythe first time you sleep with someone after you've both been anticipating it for monthsthe first sip of coffee, the morning after a heavy night. <p align="justify">As a further celebration of the joyousness of the First Test, I give you some of today's wacky google searches (yes, I know google analytics now; the learning never stops at cricketwithballs):
Jacob Oram wedding [i'd suggest that if you need to google it, you're not invited] my favorite food + sanath jayasuriya [keep your whipped cream fantasies to yourself, googler]does bill lawry like the blackcaps [more one for AQA than google, I'd have thought]shane watson no [no means NO, Shane].<p align="justify">What? you want some actual cricket? Ok. The squads have been announced. Some of you will be pleased, some disappointed (no Rob Key). The England selection: Panesar and Broad are IN, Hoggard is OUT.
<p align="justify">The Kiwi selection: it's still "probable", but Vettori is IN despite a broken finger, probably because I kissed it better for him. The probable selection also includes someone called Daniel Flynn, who I have never heard of but who I had to pick for fantasy cricket as I'd run out of money. So, COME ON DANIEL!
<p align="justify">My updates on this Test will follow the above format, i.e.
analogies (the more tortuous, the better)analytics (wacky google searches)analysis (a bit of actual cricketing stuff)<p align="justify">I am going to stick to this format strictly (or, if you like, anally)*.
<p align="justify">
<p align="justify">
<p align="justify">* I sincerely hope this joke works outside England.
<p align="justify">
...
www.cricketwithballs.com "Now with extra juicy Podcast"

No comments: