Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mushie's history on the balls

I gave Mushie a goodbye yesterday, but i thought I would mention a few excerpts from CWB where the great man has been mentioned.

This one is from my unkie j talks leggies post.

The Bubbly Pakistani leg spinner

Practised by Mushtaq Ahmed and Abdul Qadir.

This is legspin with a touch of aerobics. It requires lots of hopping, arm whipping and an offstump line. This is the one form of leg spin that best encapsulates everything there is about legspinning, as all delivery’s are available from a straighter arm action whilst still spinning the ball. The objective is to trick the batsmen with a variant of balls so devishly devised that he regulary plays for a ball that spins one way whilst it spins the other way. Because the ball spins both ways it is effective against all batsmen, but the offstump line means a good length is every important.

Signature move, the wrong’un that cuts the batsman in two halves.

This one is from the leg spinners are cool post.


Mushtaq Ahmed coolest short and chubby dude alive.

This one from my pice on growing up leggie under warne.

Imagine just for a moment, you are a leg spinner, that you are from Melbourne, and some guy called Warne just started his career.

Are you there yet?

Good.

Now just to add some spice, your favourite cricketer and personal tweaking idol is Mushtaq Ahmed. Or as a family friend once said, who, that fat little paki ©unt.


This is talking about my conversation with Ray Bright.

So I rang a number in some cricket magazine that advertised spin bowling lessons. The phone was answered by a dude in a factory office (I think), eventually I was passed to a guy named Ray Bright.

I shat myself.

He asked what kind of spinner I was, leg, asked about my run up, I told him it was like Mushtaq Ahmed’s, he asked about my line, I told him middle to off, he asked about my wrong un, I said I had one, he asked about my flipper, I said no. He asked if I spun the ball a lot, I said not really use variation and flight mostly.

He said ok, I think we can work with this, first we need to slow your run up down, make it a brisk walk, then we need to get you bowling at leg or outside, we need to you to spin the ball more, we need you to forget about the wrong un and learn the flipper.

I said, won’t that make me exactly like Warne.

He said, yeah that’s what I’m trying to do.

Oh, but I don’t bowl like warne, I bowl like mushtaq ahmed.

But warne is better.
www.cricketwithballs.com... fighting the war on tony greig

No comments: