Saturday, July 5, 2008

Stuart Broad's Wristband

Some time ago, I asked the text service AQA questions that had been asked by people whose googlesearches had brought them to this site. I am a bit of a fan of AQA.

One of the questions was "what wristband does Stuart Broad wear". Now, at the time, AQA didn't know the answer.

However! this week I had an email from a kind man at AQA, informing me of a live web chat involving none other than Stuart Broad himself, where members of the general public could send in questions.

Of course, I had to join in. For all of Stuart's answers to the questions he asked, go HERE. Go take a look; the chat lasted an hour and he answered a lot of questions.

But for our loyal readers, and the persistent googlers, I reproduce here all the questions I asked, as well as a few others from the web chat.

[b]Miriam[/b]: What wristband does Stuart wear?
[b]Stuart Broad[/b]: I wear two wristbands. one is a TrionZ which I'm a great believer helps me recover quicker from long bowling spells through its magnetic effect. The other is a sweat band which I use as a guide for my front arm to check it's going in the direction I want it to be.

(There you go googler, never let it be said that we don't put ourselves out for you)

[b]jenna[/b]: who are the practical jokers in the England dressing room?
[b]Stuart Broad[/b]: Graeme Swann and Ian Bell. Both are funny boys. Ian is someone to steer clear of in the dressing room - he'll put a brick in your bag to make it heavier or cut a hole in your socks. You need to watch out for him. Graeme is more outspoken and funny - he's great in the changing room as he makes everyone laugh - you need that sort of character around. He's done far too many practical jokes to remember.
(Ian Bell, less joking, more batting please)

[b]Miriam[/b]: Do you have a favourite bowling partner that you like to "hunt in pairs" with?
[b]Stuart Broad[/b]: Yes. Assuming you mean cricket - I'm lucky enough in the side to have a great unit to bowl with - Ryan Sidebottom, Monty and Jimmy are dangerous bowlers. It's key as a bowling unit to bowl well together and keep the pressure on all the time. That makes a successful unit. So I particularly enjoy bowling in this unit at the moment as we partner each other at different stages to create pressure and take wickets.

(Stuart! of course I meant cricket! If I wanted to know your wing-man, I would have asked)

[b]Miriam[/b]: Hi Stuart, would you class yourself as an all-rounder at the moment? [b]Stuart Broad[/b]: No, I wouldn't. I'm certainly in the side to take wickets as a bowler. My batting is a useful string to my bow. Delighted to have the number 8 spot at the moment. A lot of hard work still to come on the batting and I need to keep developing. But I think my bowling will always be stronger. If I can become a useful number 8 for England - that's an aim of mine.

(I asked this because cricinfo class him as an all-rounder in the current fantasy cricket competition)

[b]Miriam[/b]: I have a batting question: when batting, which bowler have you found most difficult to face, to date?
[b]Stuart Broad[/b]: The hardest is Shoaib Akhtar. It was my first ball in international cricket. To stand at the crease and look up - the bloke with the longest run up in cricket - the world record fastest bowler... It was quite a welcome to international cricket. It was a huge challenge.

(he scored 8*, the match was rained off but not before he took the wicket of Shoaib Malik)

[b]supergirl[/b]: do you get stalked a lot?
[b]Stuart Broad[/b]: No, I don't think so. Not that I know of. I get a bit of fan mail from different people, sending me postcards from holiday and stuff. But not stalking, no. It's still strange to get people telling me what they've done on holiday when I don't know them.

(Stuart, be afraid)

[b]Miriam[/b]: Is there a type of pitch that would suit you but not Dale Steyn? (and if so, I hope we get one this summer).
[b]Stuart Broad[/b]: We can only look at the pitches we'll be playing on against SA. I'm a bit taller, so I'll be looking for pitches that bounce more - like The Oval. It will be an interesting battle - both have done well in the past 3 or 4 months. So it'll be intriguing. Steyn's been great over the last year - he's number one or two in the world, but hopefully we'll come out on top.

(I'm going to the matches at the Oval. I will look out for Stuart's bounce)

[b]Jay G[/b]: According to Vaughany you are the "lovey-dovey" in the team. Do u agree?
[b]Stuart Broad[/b]: I'm intrigued to know what he means by that. He gives me stick. You have to put up with that sort of thing as the youngest person in the squad. I'll get a few more test matches under my belt and then I'll be able to give the stick back. Meanwhile, he's piping up a bit, Vaughany, isn't he?

(Give him the stick now! how do you know that he'll be around in a few more test's time?)

[b]Miriam[/b]: Have you ever played a practical joke back at Ian Bell, like nicking his hair straighteners?
[b]Stuart Broad[/b]: No. He's very protective of his hair straighteners. You can't get near them. His time will come - I'll be lining something up, but I can't give my secrets away live online.
(Not live online, but you can tell me privately; I won't tell the little ginger anything).

www.cricketwithballs.com

Now with new proper english lady blogger.

No comments: