Sunday, July 27, 2008

Match report, Twenty20 Finals day

<p align="justify">
You all know what happened at the cricket, so I won't bore you with that. Instead, I give you all the whatevphemera.

I watched this day of cricket in a pub, with absolutely delightful company. This report is therefore told through the hazy level of recall that only alcohol can induce.

There weren't many people in the pub when I arrived. I think this was because it was a beautiful sunny day (yes! in ENGLAND! Who knew?), and not because of any raucous behaviour from the group.

My team is Surrey, and obviously they were nowhere to be seen this being Finals Day, so I had to choose someone else to support. I plumped for Middlesex, because of Dirty Dirk.

I have a new idea for Middlesex kit: identical to their whites, but slightly pink as if there's been a mass laundry accident.
<p align="justify">At one point there was an interview with Ed Smith, and he and the interviewer were sitting on the grass. HOWEVER, Ed was wearing shorts, and he was maintaining an almost-indecent leg position. Next time the camera went back to him, it was on his face only.

During the break between the semi finals and the final, there was more time than expected because Middlesex overcame Durham's total with such ruthless efficiency. Sky therefore showed (again) that 800+ run ODI between South Africa and Australia. I've seen this quite a few times now; it's like the Bugsy Malone of programming in that it's quite hard to avoid. It was fun to relive it though. The following points are to be noted:

- Good GOD the Saffers were slim back then.
- Ricky Ponting has a discernible bald spot in this game.
- whilst it was nice to see the Aussies lose, it would have been nice if someone other than South Africa had won.

Sky then showed highlights of the Oval ODI in 2007 between England and India. India won again. I'd noted earlier in the day that Owais Shah was one of the loudest callers that I'd ever heard, and was reminded of this again in the KP run out. I did like the way Yuvraj flicked the bails off though.

Finally, for no reason other than The Jrod is in the air and can't stop me, here is a cat picture.


www.cricketwithballs.com

Now with new proper english lady blogger.

No comments: