Monday, June 2, 2008

Player Discussion : Stuart MacGill announces Test retirement

Author: fishcake14Subject: Stuart MacGill announces Test retirementPosted: 02 June 2008 at 9:00amAustralian leg-spinner Stuart MacGill is retiring from Tests at the end of the current Test Match against WI, feeling that the time is now right to retire because 'there is no way I I will ever walk on to a cricket field unless I can guarantee that I can dismiss top order batsmen consistently. The prospect of letting myself and the team down is simply not an option. I have worked way too hard for too long to sabotage my achievements by playing Test cricket for the wrong reasons.' This seems all a rather sad end to MacGill's 'career' having been bowling in the shadow of Warne for all these years. Australia now have a bit of trouble and will need to play uncapped (and unheard of) Beau Casson. This could also cause Shane Warne to make a return to Test cricket in 2009, unless Casson performs marvellously. Stuart MacGill:Wickets: 207Average: 28.28Best Figures: 12-107 vs England, 1999. Those stats go to show what quality MacGill had, seeing Test bowlers with an average under 30 are usually seen as very good indeed.

No comments: