Saturday, June 21, 2008

My lunch with Joe Average Part 1

Cricket with balls is not a journalistic institution.

But due to recent developments and so forth, I was in a position to interview one of Cricket with Balls favourite sons, Bryce McGain.

It is fitting that Bryce is my first interview, as he was the first player to receive the “cricket with balls own” tag.

Bryce opted to meet in a café sea side.

The view of the ocean was horrid, but luckily the junkies made up for it.

For those who are interested, he wore a blue hoodie, and had just come from a session.

Bryce is a nice guy, which is lucky, given his other nickname of Nice Bryce.

Early on we covered the important things, like whether Dirty Dirk knows where he is bowling it, answer is no, and about how it came to pass that Bryce played for Denmark.

The Denmark story was a bit unexciting, but perhaps because I was expecting him to say, my father was an Earl of Copenhagen, and one day I got a call from Princess Mary asking me to do my duty for the national side or I would end up beheaded.

In fact he was playing club cricket over there and was picked to be the overseas player in the tournament that Scotland, the Netherlands, Denmark and Ireland play against the county sides, of which the name has alluded me.

They must have had a strong side as Bryce batted in the middle order.

The fact he made 50 also tells you of the level of the opposition, no Brett Lee’s around.

Bryce is now a full time cricketer, leaving his job as ANZ IT bagman behind him.

Hence why he can sit in a café and talk shit about cricket for a couple of hours.

The one thing I noticed, and it happened repeatedly was Bryce’s constant reference to himself as Joe Average.

At first I thought it may have been a reference to his alter ego, some sort of superhero who puts out fires and saves kittens by night.

But no, this is how Bryce saw his life before Terry Jenner, Warne and I started name dropping him.

Notice how I slipped in my name into the same line as Shane Warne so smoothly.

Back then he was Bryce McGain, father, bank employee and cricket enthusiast.

Now he is Bryce Mcgain, the Facebook kid, Cricket with balls own, Nice Bryce, and potential test cricketer for Australia.

Surprisingly enough no one came up for an autograph during our time together.

Although the Chinese lady sitting next to us did say Leggie at one stage.

Or she was ordering a Veggie burger.

Stay tuned for Joe Average’s take on why he and I are better than you, Joe Average’s Facebook problems, Joe Average facing Brett Lee and other interesting Joe Average adventures.www.cricketwithballs.com

Now with new proper english lady blogger.

No comments: