Sunday, December 14, 2008

from the pulpit

It is beyond any comprehensive description.

I didn’t even see it live.

Just after it finished I was watching the replay, and it left me dumbstruck and silent.

Not particularly amazing on its own, but being that I was at a bar ordering a breakfast beer at the time, it lends a certain extra credit to it.

I was standing at the bar, money in hand, thirsty, but there was no ordering from me.

Apparently the barman asked me for my order, three times.

But I was transfixed.

Our man was on the screen.

And he was murderous.

I have never seen anything like it, I would give my exceptionally special little toe to a stranger for the chance to go back in time and see it live.

He was pure adrenaline, he was dancing on sharks, he was killing nazi op keepers, he was destroying every last thing in front of him.

And beer could not compete.

Nothing could.

Infact I almost punched the barman when he broke me from my happiness bubble.

"Good god man, have you no sense of history, look at what this man, nay prophet, nay god is doing", is what I would have said if words would have come to my lips.

Words however were nowhere near my mouth.

Wonderful magically amazingness was all around.

He was not just batting, he was carving his name into the memory of every person lucky enough to see him.

You cannot forget what you saw.

It was what eyes were invented for.

Obviously.

And when harper finally ended the best short moment any of us are ever going to have, all we were left with was deep sorrow and terrible heart ache.

Because he is not a batsman, anyone can bat, he stands above all that, and what we get is light, and hope.

And i even forgive him for making me forget about having a beer.

cricketwithballs

www.cricketwithballs.com... We constantly get sodomized down the legside

No comments: