Sunday, April 6, 2008

my dean jones interview - part two

I know yesterday left you wanting more Deano, so here it is.

I was the first guy to wear sunglasses on the field. That was in the 1980s. Having tried many brands I stuck with Oakley mainly because the clarity was good. And I didn't get paid for wearing them; I actually bought them. I was also the first one to wear the extra sweatbands on top of the gloves.

You sir, are a pioneer, and I hope you get elevated into the cricket hall of fame for your good work.

If an average bowler is on, you want to stay on strike. I learned that very quickly.

Genius.

Elton John told me, "If you do something properly once, you don't have to do it again."

After deano covered Crocodile rock.

You can be direct but it can be done with a bit of compassion. I lack that sometimes.

No, really, we hadn't noticed.

I'm trying to hit fours and sixes in the commentary box. I'm trying to think outside the box. Yes, I played a bad shot with that terrorist remark and I got out.

It wasn’t a bad shot, it was a hook shot to the jugular.

When a Victorian plays for Australia, he stays there for a while.

Like Tony Dodemaide and Matthew Elliott I suppose.

Great players are stable and under control when they're under pressure.

You’ve noticed this from watching I guess.

The only time I pick up a cricket bat now is to sign it and give it back to a kid. I divorced batting long ago - she left me.

Can you blame her?

The reason why Australia are No. 1 is the fact that we have a love, a care for one another in the team. Particularly under pressure, our guys tend to gel together better than anyone else in the world. Mateship is in our constitution.

It has nothing to do with the fact they have the worlds best cricketers I suppose.

This interview reminds me of the time I hooked Curtley Ambrose for 6 at Barbados...www.cricketwithballs.com "Practice Sehwagology and kill the Probots"

No comments: