Sunday, April 13, 2008

the new jack iverson

I have decided to take a severe disliking to Ajantha Mendis.

Not hatred, just yet.

For the three of you that haven’t heard, he is the new wonder spinner, part Saqlain Mushtaq, part Shane Warne, part John Gleeson and a whole lotta Jack Iverson.

Usually the idea of a spinner who can bowl wrong uns, flippers, doosras and everything in between would have me gooey in the nether regions.

But everyone has already proclaimed this guy the messiah of spin bowling.

Not because he can bowl well but because he can bowl so many different deliveries.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame the kid, I blame the media.

Everyone else does, don’t they Shaun.

So far he has played 2 games, and he is already the future of spin bowling.

John Gleeson would be rolling over in his grave, if he were dead.

We don’t really know if he can bowl or not, what we know is he has the ability to bowl 6 or 7 different types of deliveries.

So do I.

I can bowl every delivery on his list except for the doosra.

None of them well.

Some of them, like the flipper, spectacularly bad.

The ability to bowl 7 different deliveries doesn’t ensure your future as a test cricketer, bowling two deliveries really fu©king fantastically is usually what does it.

I really do hope this guy is the real deal.

But if not, a lot of people who aren’t me will look like complete tools.

Cricket With balls, we are the salmon baby.www.cricketwithballs.com "Practice Sehwagology and kill the Probots"

No comments: