Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One year on, what the others make of the balls - part one

Ceci of Mel & Ceci fame offered the birthday banner you see before you. Mel offered this.

Len, The Yorkshireman Kitman (from the grave)

Ow’do.

Apparently, cricketwithballs is one year old today. Who’d of thought it? Not me, I only discovered the site in June. And like all major events to happen in my lifetime, I can remember exactly where I was at the time. I was sitting at my computer. Your story may differ.

Two things immediately stuck me. Firstly, cricketwithballs was a brilliant name for a sports blog, possibly the best I’d heard. (of course, this was before somebody started ‘4.5 inches of wood’, which I think we can all agree is a much, much better title)

Next came the revelation that not only was the site funny, but it was written by an Australian. Talk about having your preconceptions challenged. It felt like I was witnessing the moment when monkeys discovered how to use rudimental tools to hunt for food - it’s certainly given me something to think about the next time one of them is serving me in a pub. An Australian, I mean.

Ever since, cricketwithballs had become somewhere I visit daily, if only to find out which England cricketers wear make-up. In fact, I only have one slight criticism. Calling yourself Jrod? Please. Any blogger who hides behind a pseudonym, is a sicko not to be trusted…

Si’thee later,

Len


Miriam

Cricketwithballs has literally changed my life. To think that a year ago, I'd never even heard of Bryce McGain and Dirty Dirk Nannes. Now, CWB is my favourite place on all of the internets, edging out even cuteoverload.com. The past year has been one hell of a ride, watching it grow from its badly-grammaticised, constant Natalie-Portman-referencing, punctuation-free roots to the slick multi-site global operation that it is today. It has been a pleasure to infiltrate it with cat pictures, semicolons and occasional paragraphs, and now to meet the real person that is The Jrod as well as some of the delightful readers. May there be many more years of CWB's crickety goodness.


King Cricket

Opinions are like arseholes: everyone has one.

Except for Cricket With Balls.

Cricket With Balls has a million opinions and maybe twice as many arseholes.

That’s a conservative estimate.

But the opinions and the arseholes are what make Cricket With Balls what it is.

They’re enough that we can forgive it for Eyelids.

Because the English should make no mistake: Cricket With Balls was responsible for Eyelids.

They know what they’re doing.www.cricketwithballs.com... fighting the war on tony greig

No comments: